Wednesday, January 12, 2011

[DIY Paper Craft Decor] Accordion Paper Flowers


I know that the holidays have come and gone and decorations have already been stored away, but you know what? These paper accordion flowers that I made to decorate my walls for Christmas, have not been taken down just yet... I love how pretty they look and think they're great whether or not the seasons change. Besides, I don't mind having to look at them all year round because I love that they are handmade and think it adds a creative touch to my home. This post will show you how I made these accordion flowers. They can be made in so many different sizes, but this project is going to include instructions on how to make a pretty large sized flower that can be used to hang from a ceiling or pinned up to a wall like I have done.

This step by step tutorial is pretty simple and you may use any type of 12x12 paper for this project. I used thick patterned card stock by My Mind's Eye because it continues the theme of my Paper Tree and Paper Wreath that I also created. One thing I do recommend although it is not necessary, is a scoring board. I recently purchased Martha Stewart's Scoring Board and love it because it has the grooves and measuring guides that allow perfect lines and increments. Super convenient. But, if you don't have this tool, no worries. A ruler and a scoring tool will work just fine.

DIY TUTORIAL: ACCORDION FLOWERS [Large Sized]

What you will need:

  • 12x12 Solid or Patterned Card Stock - TWO STRIPS CUT OF EITHER ONE OF THESE SIZES: 4'X12', 6'X12', OR 8'X12' INCHES.
  • 1 Coordinating card stock with a different color or pattern
  • 2 in or bigger round circle or scallop punch
  • Scoring Board or Ruler w/Scoring Tool
  • Glue Gun
  • Stapler or Adhesive strips





1. First step is to score 1 inch increments on each strip of card stock. I decided to use 6 x 12 inch strips for my project, but for different sizes you may try this with 4' x 12' or 8' x 12' inch strips as well.


2. After scoring both strips of 6 inch pieces of paper and folding them accordion style, line up and staple ends together to form one long 24 inch strip.


3. Then take both ends around to form a circle.


4. Staple it together.


5. Push towards the center.


6. It should lay flat and from this circle.


7. Now we need to add a punched circle to the center.


8. Turn accordion flower over and lay it face down on the backside of the punched circle paper. Center it so that the inside circle of the accordion flower is not hanging over the edges of the punched circle. You will need to hold the accordion flower in place to keep its form while the hot glue dries. Be careful, it is hot!

9. Once you know that the hot glue is dry, turn it over and go ahead and add any other embellishments if you'd like. To attach a ribbon or string, I simply stapled it onto the back, close to the edge.


Here is my wall display with the rest of the accordion flowers I created in different sizes. I found that the smaller you create the flowers, the smaller the paper strips and the increment measurements that you'll need to score decreases. These smaller sizes are great for paper crafts such as cards, scrapbook pages, favors, etc.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to ask!! 

Enjoy!

post signature

No comments: