Wednesday, December 8, 2010

6 Years Ago...

Our Story | Using Sweet Talk


...I gave birth to my first child, Josiah. In exactly one week, he will be turing 6 years old. Sometimes I don't realize how fast time goes by until moments like this where year after year, we celebrate another birthday... or when suddenly they reach a new milestone... or when they start pondering answers to questions such as "Mommy, were you happy to hold me when I was born?" The moment he said these words, I knew I had to scrap a page about it because it was one of those moments that made my heart ache with a realization that he wanted the assurance of my love for him and if his life was important to me... 


I know that it doesn't have to do with any lack of love or affection because there is not a day that goes by that we don't spend time together and express love for each other. But, I do recall a conversation we had previously about the physical pain that a mother goes through when giving birth to a child because he was asking so many questions about how a baby is born (Don't worry, no graphic details were shared, lol. Both my sisters are pregnant at the moment, so it sparked a little a lot of curiosity). When I told him that I felt like dying from the excruciating pain, he almost looked like he was heartbroken as his eyes slightly filled with tears and he just held on to me so tightly. I don't know what went on in his mind, but maybe he felt like his birth caused me so much pain that he must of thought he did something wrong. One thing he said was, "Mommy, I don't want anything bad to happen to you." , which I understand that out of his love for me, he was feeling a little remorseful of what I had gone through to give birth. Of course, I assured him that I can NEVER ever say that it wasn't worth it because he means EVERYTHING to me and though as painful as it was, he has brought me SO much joy to my life and a love that I never knew.


Everyday since then, I've thought about his question and it really touches my heart that we  were able to talk about it and hopefully he will always remember how happy I was that day he was born, that he will always be a gift to me, and that he is worth it all then, now, and always...



post signature

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Simply beautiful, I cried when I read your journaling. Truly precious.

Dahlia Co said...

Thankful that you were touched by this :) It is such a precious moment to me and feels good to share with others. Thank you, Cheryl!

Christine Joy Rimando said...

That's so sweet! I love Josiah and his questions! He was so very loved the day he was born. Even Auntie Joy-Joy was so happy w/ tears that late night!