Thursday, December 9, 2010

[DIY Holiday Project] Paper Christmas Tree

Today I have a little holiday craft project to share with you! This one is basically the same technique I used when I created my Christmas Wreath last year, using the same scrapbook paper collection--Sweet Dreams Holiday Avenue by My Mind's Eye. I just adore the glittery + textured feel and gorgeous colors + designs of these papers, but you can use any of your favorite scrapbook papers as you like. This project was inspired by a post I read here and here, from Crate Paper on their blog, but also because I wanted to create these trees to coordinate with the holiday wreath that I mentioned above.

Anyways, here are a few photos of what I did and the final result only took me a little over an hour, but could take longer depending on the size of your tree cone. I also had a lot of extra pre-cut and stapled papers from last year, so that really helped keep this project shorter than usual. Either way, be sure to take your time and have fun with it!

DIY: Paper Christmas Tree

Supplies Needed:
  • Craft or Foam Tree Cones
  • Patterned Cardstock cut into strips (sizes between 1" x 4" inch to 1" x 5" inch), then ends stapled together
  • Hot Glue Gun


 1. This step I already had these pre-cut and stapled from the previous year, but what it really is are 1" x 5" strips of patterned paper with ends stapled together.


 2. Using your hot glue gun, add a strip of glue to the stapled edges. Be careful because when pressing these down, it can be too hot too touch. Also, you will probably need to hold them down for 10-15 seconds at a time for it to really settle and stick.


 3. Begin adhering the strips to the cone about 1.5 to 2 inches above the bottom edge. Do this by overlapping the corners, just a little tiny bit, all around until you come full circle. After that, for each layer move up 1/2 to 3/4 an inch.


 4. This first layer makes it hard for the cone to stand steady on its own, so I slightly bended the strips to help the cone lay flat on the surface. You may do this to the rest of the strips, but I found that it didn't quite look right to me, so it's really your preference.


5. Once you reach the very top, the tip of the cone is left uncovered. What I did was punch out a circle of similar size or you can cut it out with scissors and glue that on. The glittered snowflake I used was actually an ornament off my tree. :) But, you can think up your own tree topper ideas such as a paper punched star or circle w/your monogram initials, a small pretty bow or what have you...



Hope you enjoyed this little craft idea and if you happen to make one of your own, I'd love to see it so please do share!

I am actually going to make more of these, but the next one will be using ribbon:) Stay tuned for more details about that...



post signature

1 comment:

Laila said...

Ms. Dahlia you are one of the most creative ppl I know. You're whole household is and you're an awesome mom...I PRAY that God graces me with the tools I need to be a wonderful mom like yourself