Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Doodles Unleashed : Inspired By Traci Bautista


Traci Bautista's Doodles Unleashed online workshop is a free class on Strathmore's website that I am currently taking and because I've been so inspired by her work already, it was a great chance for me to get to know Traci and learn from her. Doodling comes so naturally to me already which is why I was so excited to join in and I'm so glad I did because I am having so much fun with it. So far, I've created a few pieces from the last two lessons that were posted and wanted to share my take on them as I applied some of her cool techniques in my art work. There are two more weeks of her workshop and I will also be posting about that as well, so don't forget to come back and check out my blog!

***

Lesson 1: Playful Printmaking


In lesson 1, it was about printmaking and creating doodles shapes for the background, but I didn't really create too many doodles because I was more focused on creating a theme for an art journal page and wanted to incorporate a title as you can see above and some writing onto the page. However, I did love this lesson because one of my favorite things to doodle, are flowers and botanicals. 


Dream: "Never let go of your dreams...you and only you can live out your dreams."


One of the dreams I have is to 'write a book' and to 'teach'. 


I know that these dreams can bloom, grow, and flourish if I hold on and never give up.


I used a white gel pen to journal with, but Traci has a list of her favorite white ink pens + markers on her blog which I want  to try out in the future.


As I was experimenting with letters, the letter 'd' was actually not freehanded like the rest of the word. I used a chipboard letter as a mask when I sprayed ink over it and then traced and painted it. I think I will do that with all the letters next time to give it a more cleaner look... But, it is what it is and that's okay :)

***

Lesson 2: Creating Spontaneous Watercolor Backgrounds


Lesson 2, was all about playing with watercolor and creating watercolor backgrounds with doodles and stamps. I particularly LOVED this lesson since I primarily work with acrylics in my art and never really use watercolors very much. But, I think this class turned it all around for me and I absolutely love the whimsical, dreamy feel to this project. I used watered down acrylics and watercolor crayons.


I BELIEVE I CAN FLY


I used a butterfly rubber stamp and inked it up with my paintbrush, being careful to not mix the colors on the rubber stamp before applying it onto the page. It came out beautifully.... When everything was dry, I went in and added some detail with a white gel pen and black india ink pen.


Of course, I had to add journaling... "With God all things are possible."


Hand painted the words with watercolor took some practice.


Used a round metal cap to add circles. Then journaled, "Spread your wings and fly away."


Close up on the butterfly.


I went in and splattered paint in different colors...


The splatters left a trail in the right place which I think gave the butterfly a sense of movement and direction. 

THANKS to Traci for being an amazing inspiration to the art community. Looking forward to creating a stylized face in the remaining lessons of Doodles Unleashed online workshop :)


post signature

No comments: