Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year + Art Journaling Winter Edition 2012 by Somerset Studio


I know I'm a day late, but just wanted to stop in and wish everyone a 
HAPPY NEW YEAR! 

The holidays have flown by so quickly and I had so much going on with our move and the sale of our old home. It's still on the market and we're still waiting for an offer. We did have a buyer who submitted an offer back in November, but they backed out 2 weeks before the transaction was scheduled to close on 12/30. Talk about being SO disappointed! I was crushed. Yet, I completely understood that they had valid reasons to do whats best for them. So, here we are back to square one. Granted though, we have had a big number of potential buyers showing up over the holidays and there are a few who are saying they are seriously in love with the property... Praying and hoping the right one will come along and follow through!

Financially, we are still finding it a struggle with our 'new' home and the limited income we have. It's funny, how after donating, recycling, and dumping so much stuff that we used to have during our move, we now are living SIMPLY, both within our home and our lifestyle. It has really put a lot into perspective about how we spend our money and how easy it is to fall into debt. This year, we are all about cooking at home, thrift shopping, saving as much as possible, and just finding joy in the littlest things. By the way, Craigslist is such a lifesaver in my opinion :) 

Also, my hubby and I are being challenged to finally take the leap of faith to work with what we have--our creative passions and endeavors. My husband has a passion for plants and photography. He went from two small greenhouses at our old property to a 1500 sq ft nursery that is being rented out just down the street from our new location. If you read his story and how his journey always seems to bring him closer and closer to his dream, it dawned on us that it isn't just coincidence that this move has brought us to live literally a block away by this nursery. One day, he is hoping to open up as a public wholesale nursery, a vision he has had for many years. You can read more about his journey on his blog, The Pitcher Plant Project. 

For me, our new home is smaller, but it has just the right amount of space for our family. We went from a 5 bedroom to a 3 bedroom house, yet it feels adequate. I love the coziness of having a place that is smaller. And, it also has a pantry with a window which I've turned into my very own ART STUDIO.





It's still in progress, but I already see myself getting busy and working playing in it! So far, I've been working on my goals for 2012 and it has a lot to do with my art and desire to build a business around it. Last year, I finished my background in Graphic Design and then discovered my love for mixed media. Somehow, I look forward to bringing them together and opening up a shop. Possibilities are endless, right? I am always eager to learn and grow my skills as I search for ways to be inspired whether it be through books, online tutorials, joining workshops, and/or being inspired by so many amazing artists. This year, it's all about growing and letting my creativity flow....


Now, for the special news...

I am SO excited to announce that I have a special feature in the current issue of Art Journaling by Somerset Studio. After taking Christy Tomlinson's -- She Had Three Hearts Workshop back in May 2011, I posted my work on Flickr. In August 2011, I received an email to request my artwork for submission, from the Managing Editor, Amber Demien. Oh. Em. Gee.... REALLY?? I was not expecting it at all and was really stunned because I have NEVER been published in any major publication in my entire life! Already a fan of Somerset Studio of Stampington & Company, for the longest time, I remember being at the bookstore reading their books and being inspired to learn, I remember wishfully saying to myself that "one day, I hope to get my work published." Well, that wish definitely came true! It made me realize that maybe I've found my niche, or shall I say my 'calling in life.' Whatever my destiny holds, I know that I will eventually get there if I focus on doing what I love. I know that this is just scratching the surface and who knows what this 'opened door' will lead to. Anything is possible!! So, if you're interested be sure to check it out (I'm on Page 46) when they become available at your nearest major bookstore! I'm still waiting for my copy in the mail and have been checking stores every now and then, but the stores in my area haven't stocked their shelves yet. They are available online, though! If you happen to grab a copy, please don't hesitate to let me know what you think! Thank you in advance for your support :)






post signature

No comments: