Wednesday, April 6, 2011

HE{ART} JOURNAL | The Beginning of a New Journey

"I think that once you are completely aware of your true identity, only then can you really begin your journey towards your destiny of who you are meant or called to be as an artist, otherwise you will always be trying to be like others or something other than your TRUE self." ~ By Dahlia Co

Happy Wednesday!!

Just wanted to share a little bit of what I have done lately. I'm actually really thrilled about it and really happy that it's opened a whole new chapter in my creative journey. It's called ART JOURNALING, which I'm sure many of you have heard of or maybe have tried. In a sense, it's like scrapbooking or memory keeping, but using entirely different methods, tools, and mediums. The common purpose for both is that it allows you to capture those special moments and enables you to reflect on the details of your life, in hopes that it will inspire others and leave a legacy for your loved ones.

Recently, I created a digital kit called, Journal My He{ART}, which I had no idea that it would leave such a big impression within me, especially because it allowed me to step out of the box to create something new and completely different. For some reason, it just felt like I had discovered a new part of me and my affinity for this type of art/design style. I really felt like I was in my own element, something I haven't felt before. Since I started designing, I have not been able to define a specific style for my designs that I know other designers have. When asked what my design style is, I simply called it 'eclectic' because I still had yet to figure it out. Although I'm attracted to clean and modern, shabby chic, whimsical, or vintage art styles, I just can't say that those styles resound in me or give me that fulfilling sense of it reflecting my true identity, which I truly believe is important. I think that once you are completely aware of your true identity, only then can you really begin your journey towards your destiny of who you are meant or called to be as an artist, otherwise you will always be trying to be like others or something other than your TRUE self. This is my deepest desire, that each day will lead me to discover who I really am as an artist and be confident in my work and who I am, otherwise I don't know if I could ever reach my full potential without having that one simple revelation.

So, yesterday out of a spontaneous desire to express some of my inner feelings, I decided to take out my acrylic paint set, brushes, and canvas paper that I've had for quite a long time and has been collecting dust. I purchased them several years ago from my local craft store where I once worked. I had made an attempt to teach myself to paint using instructional books and created a few pieces that I ended up giving away as gifts, but that was it. Now many years later, they are finding its way back into my life and I hope that it will stick around from this point on... Who knows where this will lead to, but I'm hoping and praying for much greater and better things, so we'll just have to see what happens...

{04.05.11 | HE CATCHES ME}






The actual process of creating an art journal is so INTRIGUING. It dawned on me that my journals in the past, filled with drawings and bits and pieces of memorabilia, were never considered as 'art journals' to me. The pages of my past, were very dark and emotional, so I wrote a lot to release all the pent up thoughts and feelings that would have otherwise deterred my faith, my dreams, my hope, my entire well-being from thriving. It was a way to cope with my struggles, fears, and challenges as I was growing up from a adolescent to an adult. Looking back at them, I feel empowered to see how much I've matured and grew in wisdom, strength, and love. I now realize how those journals impacted my life and really gave me the chance to bring healing and restoration to my soul. Life is always changing and I am facing a whole new set of challenges within myself. Growing older, my perspectives about a lot of things that I once believed, have evolved or should I say it has gotten so much deeper than before.

Like I said, I am on a creative journey and I hope you will come along with me as I take each step in creating this art journal. There's so much I want to learn and so far I have found several great, inspirational and educational sites about Art Journaling, that I will collaborate a list and share them with you as soon as I can!

Be back with some updates and guess what?? Another giveaway is on the horizon! Stay tuned.....

XOXO
post signature

1 comment:

renne said...

terrifc post dahlia and beautiful kit :) you go girl!