Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A He{ART} Journal To Remember

After our recent move, it's funny how things turn up that were buried under so much clutter. As we are finally getting settled in our new home, I had to share this journal of mine. It's not your typical diary that was a written by one person. It belongs to both my husband and I. It is more like letters that we wrote to one another prior to our engagement. Our thoughts and feelings were poured out through words and inscriptions over a span of 3 years. Sometimes we added memorabilia or personal things like ticket stubs, sketches, colorings, stickers, etc.  It turns out, as I realize more now than before, that this may be my very first 'art journal' so to speak. Emotions that we felt often displayed the colors that it reflected like when we argued or when we were happy. It was also a place where we could express ourselves creatively, making our relationship grow in ways unimaginable. Even though we could talk and laugh for hours on end, this journal was a more intimate way of conversation through artistic expression such as poetry, lyrics, and colors. Very sacred, indeed. I hope this will always be part of our legacy to our children and the future generations of our family... It holds such a valuable purpose to teach that real love is not perfect, but it also keeps no record of wrongs and is not bound by material or worldly things, but by trust, honesty, and unconditional love that God has placed in us, especially with those who are close to our hearts...

***


I always had a deep fascination for butterflies, the beauty of transformation is astoundingly amazing.



A glimpse of our back to back letters to each other in our journal...



A drawing that I drew of my dream home by the ocean....



Pressed flowers that my hubby used to decorate one of his pages...



A rough sketch of a photo of us. It was my documentation of when he was seeing me off at the airport. I left for a month to Hawaii to visit my sister...



He drew my name, graffiti style...



Lots of color and writing....



We were down to the very last pages of this journal and this is where he proposed to me....



And of course I said... YES!!




And its been 8 years since we got married and we are living happily ever after.... 


This is our purpose: To Love Each Other So Other Purposes Will Be Fulfilled 



4 comments:

Janelle Lorenzen said...

So sweet!

cathyb.typepad.com said...

Caught you spread in Art Journaling - beautiful - I am inspired!

Dahlia Co said...

Thank you Janelle!!

Dahlia Co said...

Cathy, that is so sweet of you! Thank you!