Monday, May 30, 2011

Elderly Love....



The last week or so, Lola (filipino name for grandmother) has had a few visits to the ER because of her heart and gave all of us a scare. But, as we kept our faith and prayed for her, she came out of it okay. She is a fighter both physically and spiritually. Today, we decided to all go to the beach and take a walk with Lola. She has been advised by the doctor to try and get some exercise. She struggled at first, each step was a little challenging for her, but she kept going. After a short stretch, she wanted to turn around and go back, but we found a bench where she can sit and rest. All of us gathered around her and I could not help but take this picture of my boys sitting with their great grandparents (shown above). It made my heart simply melt.


As we started our walk back to the car, I know she was really pushing herself to take each step. She expressed that she was already tired and wanted to go home. We all congratulated her and enthusiastically told her that we were proud of her :) She looked at us and just gave us this big old smile! It was GREAT! She also said, "I'm happy. You're spending time with Lola."


Sometimes, I can't help but really admire elderly couples who have been married for decades and still hold on to one another with sincere devotion and dedication. It's such a gift and it is the example that I hope my husband and I hope to follow. Also, it is such a blessing to witness that they have lived to see the fourth generation. At 82 (LOLA-great grandmother) and 89 (LOLO-great grandfather), they are still very much alive and well with hearts and minds that are still strong and sharp. They do suffer age related weaknesses, but nonetheless, they have managed to keep going and refuse to stop living life as much as possible. 

Time is so short. I can't help but realize that these are the years to really cherish life with Lola and Lolo. It's amazing how their lives have made such an impact upon us that I know will last forever. My boys especially cannot go a day without wanting to be with them or at least see them since they live downstairs in our home. Their presence has definitely been significant in our home and in our family, always showing us compassion, love, and support. There have been lots of memories created with my boys that are priceless and precious, moments that I hope my boys will always remember. Every day, I hope to make every second count with them and to really treasure their lives as much as possible...


post signature

1 comment:

Linda Walton aka bobbysgirlforever said...

Dahlia, sweet and lovely lady, I simply cannot read and run, but I was just about to head to bed when I saw your new post on my blog roll and was swept in by the title.

It is late and I am sure that you are off to some sweet dreams too, so I just wish to say that I shall return as I've caught up with your past few posts and wish to reply to them.

You are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G and SO blessed!

Wishing you a lovely tomorrow and I'll be back soon.

Love and hugs,
Linda

P.S. Just have to say that your Lola is SO very precious and I am happy to hear that she is so well since being in the hospital. XO