Thursday, July 15, 2010

::A Reunion:: | Being a True Friend

Credits: 
Papers + Elements from 'Once' kit 
Frame from 'Flights of Fancy' kit

Today, I felt that I had to create a layout of this recent group photo that we took at the party that we attended last weekend. [Savannah's Dedication] I couldn't help, but think about how sometimes friendships can grow distant, fall apart, or turn cold for whatever reason. People, religion, drama, circumstances, pride, selfishness, etc. just life in general can tear friendships apart and build walls that separate us and keep us from building healthy, lasting friendships. 

With these friends of ours, we found that regardless of what happened in our pasts, true friendship is about acceptance, forgiveness, and unconditional love. I know that friendships go through tests and if it doesn't survive under pressure, then it wasn't meant to last. We all know that friends come and go, but I believe sometimes we play a huge part in that. Whatever the case may be, I think that we all make choices to whether we want to invest our time and energy into our relationships. So, it does take effort to make friendships work, but it always comes down to making that one choice. 

I'm not encouraging that unhealthy relationships should always be kept or that you need to be friends with everyone. By any means, if someone is sucking the life and joy out of you or that you are too busy to maintain it, let it go and walk away. But, if certain friendships that were special to you were cut off because of other people's opinions, beliefs, assumptions or simply because their actions or behaviors just don't agree with your values or because they don't meet your expectations on what a "good" friend should be, then that is where I feel we sometimes forfeit the true meaning of real friendships, or in other words, unconditional love. We sometimes fail to be too judgmental and critical of others, but c'mon, we are all imperfect! We are people on our own journeys towards perfection, but guess what? Without making mistakes and stumbling along the way, we never learn how to become better people. So, if a friend really means something to you, take the time to really understand them, be a good listener, show that you care regardless of the circumstance, and stand with them as they go through their challenges, basically... don't give up on them and sometimes that is what it takes for that person to grow and change for the better -- a real, true, FRIEND.

We all need friends who will be there when we fail or lose faith. Just as the saying goes, "Don't kick someone when they are down." Because somewhere along the way, you will also face moments where you'll be looking for the love and support of a friend who can help you get back up. In this verse, "A friend loves at all times; A brother is born for adversity." Proverbs 17:17, speaks to me that a good friend is meant to help others, not tear them down, especially when the storm hits. Good friendships last through it all--the good, the bad, and the ugly moments--and still stick around to the next day, the next month and even years later when your kids are all grown and your hair turns gray:) Friends are like rocks, they never move and they stand strong in and out of season. 

I am at a point in my journey where I am humbled to have learned that sometimes we need to look within us before we can judge others because I'm sure you'll be quick to realize the simple truth that we ourselves have a lot of work to be done. So, be willing to be a friend that will share in that journey with others to learn, grow, and become better people, because we are all a work in progress! Another great lesson for me was, is to be willing to ask questions before assuming another person is at fault. We may not know all the facts or even understand the person's motives or behavior before we can approach them with valid reasons to confront their issues. A lot of times, conflicts arise from misunderstandings or lack thereof. Another saying goes, never judge a book by it's cover and how do you do that?....  COMMUNICATION is KEY. But, if they choose not to communicate with you, then that's your cue to move on. Without communication, friendships are not bound to last. And that goes for any relationship.

Before I finish off this post, let me leave you with this. It may or may not be your perspective as far as your belief goes, but the truth it holds about LOVE is indispensable.

1 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror;then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. 13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.~1 Corinthians 13
I realize this post got a bit too long:) I guess my blog took a different turn today and felt that it was a personal side of me that I couldn't help but share, especially if it will help others re-evaluate their friendships, most of all give others a chance to rekindle those friendships that should have kept going in the first place...

Thank you for reading and have a fantastic day!

xoxo,
Dahlia

No comments: